Friday, February 20, 2009

Isn't It Ironic... Don't Ya Think?!

There is a song by the singer Alanis Morissette that's all about the ironies of life.  It speaks of "rain on your wedding day" or "good advice that you just can't take".  I've always enjoyed reading about irony or watching it in movies, and it was generally a wonderfully humorous moment that could just be laughed at.  These ironies of life can be enjoyed until the irony is in your life, then somehow, the humor is not quite as humorous and is often slightly more crazy-sounding.  I realized today that my life fit into that song when I saw two new emails; one from Gerber letting me know all there is to know about my 9 month old little girl, and one from Baby Center about my 10 week old little surprise......

Well, my grandmother always said if you wanted to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans for your life.  After Em was born, I was very adamant that I would not be going through that again.  Apparently, God was listening and decided that our lives were a little too... mundane and we were operating a little too close to the "status quo" because 10 days after we arrived here in Joburg (Johannesburg for those who aren't in the know), still working through the jet-lag, I went to the doctor who told me that the "jet lag" would be lasting a few more months... like, until sometime in September.  Now, as this was not planned, and in fact, we were very intent on not having this happen, Todd and I have decided three things: 1) this child wants to be here 2) Em is really good at having her prayers heard as she's the only little girl I know who has a puppy AND sibling before she's 2 years old, and 3) what better way is there to learn everything you ever wanted to know about a new country and culture than to find doctors, learn the medical system, figure out the 'mom' ways here, and find other people who are going through the same thing as you... I mean, pregnant people are pretty easy to spot in a crowd, you know what I mean?

While all this 'new' seemed impossibly overwhelming at first- new country, new home, new friends, new doctors, new side of the road to drive on, etc. God has show himself in every detail.  One of the guys that plays basketball with Todd on Sundays happened to be over here (they live across town) with his wife, and she recommended a great general practitioner who recommended a great OB and hospital.  We got in immediately (which is amazing as the waiting lists for private health care here is long) and the doctor was exactly what I wanted- funny, kind, and totally unyielding about certain things (I will probably have to go on a diet before this is all over if my kilograms to pounds conversion is right!).  He also has his own equipment in a brand new facility, which meant we were able to see the baba (Africaans for baby) and the little heart beat at EIGHT WEEKS!  It was totally amazing as that never happened in the States.  God knew that we desperately needed to have an up-close and personal experience with this little one to be comfortable with this additional blessing and know that everything would be alright.  

Once again He has provided in an amazing way.  

The proof was in the picture and what a picture it was!  This little one is determined to be just as big and strong and willful as his/her older sister was!!!  We have been so excited to share this news with you and know that you will keep our whole family, all four of us, in your prayers as I chase after Em and the puppy while still feeling the effects of pregnancy and all the... um, joys that come with that!   

5 comments:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Awww! Yea! congrats! I'm sure this will make things a little more challenging in your new home/culture but what a fun little surprise!

Congrats!!!

meljhanson said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I'M SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU THREE!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! :)

bobby said...

it's kinda like Marley and Me South Africa edition!! Congrats and tell the proud papa congrats as well!!

cwatson said...

So happy to hear the exciting news!
-Carol

Krista said...

Congratulations!! It looks like you're having a great adventure, but God is THOROUGHLY taking care of you. I always thought He has a sense of humor. This kind of proves it! :-) Miss you guys!
~Krista