Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Durban: Part 1

Renovations/repairs to our flat, three kids and life left Todd and I in desperate need of some down time. A friend suggested we use his vacation flat down in Durban. Now for most of you, a vacation in July at a beach house seems ideal but here, it's the middle of winter. I was exceedingly happy to learn that the weather down at the coast was much nicer than in Joburg. Cool, not freezing (or below!) and mild. The worst weather we had, actually, was one windy day. The flat was amazing. Very kid-friendly and right on the beach. We didn't do any swimming, but the kids loved playing in the sand and our daily walks by the water. The best part? For the first time in 6 years, Todd and I remembered our anniversary! I felt so proud of us :)
Each morning, Todd got up with the sun and would take pictures. I chose to stay in bed as long as possible, but when I did emerge, he'd show me the sunrise. It made me feel like I didn't miss anything.
Todd and Em loved running through the shallow waters. Cooper had an incident the second wave he walked through (he's short and it wasn't- oops) so he wasn't as inclined. But, he did love participating in the action safely from Daddy's back.
You will rarely see pictures of me on here because 1)I'm usually the one taking the pictures and 2)I generally don't like the pictures of me that are taken. This, however, is the exception. Harper was enthralled by something moving below her (my feet) but that's okay. Gives me a chance to show off her pinchable cheeks!
Todd waiting for Em to come running to him.
The kids loved writing in the sand. The ride to the coast was about 8 hours, so they'd watched more than their fair share of "Word World" and the likes. At least they put all that screen time to good use and practiced their letters in the sand!

3 comments:

meljhanson said...

Harper's cheeks are adorably pinchable and your smile is BEAUTIFUL!! :)

Tim Hanson said...

Britts, I have never ever seen a bad picture of you. I don't think such a thing exists. Your children are as beautiful as your and equally as amazing! It's good to see you enjoying the beaches of South Africa! Miss ya and love ya lots!

Carol Foor Watson said...

You ARE beautiful, Brittany ... What a relaxing and enjoyable vacation for your family!