One of the things I've missed being here instead of back in the States is Story Time at the local book stores and library. You see, I had a rough go at learning to read and am still a rather poor oral reader (my former students will all attest to the truth in that stament!). I worried that Em would only learn all the 'informal' reading skills (like voice inflection and tone) from me. However, she came up with a brilliant way of taking care of that problem: Saturday Story Time with Daddy!
Someone subscribed Em to the National Wildlife Federation Wild Animal Baby Series (whoever you are, God bless you!!!). They are Em's favorite books, and as she gets a new one each month, they don't seem to ever get boring to her like some others do.
She's now at the age where Todd can read the two sentences on the page, and then ask a dozen questions about the pictures and Em knows the answers. "Where's the red circle Emme?" These questions are eternally followed by the universal I-don't-know shoulder shrug...
and then she points, so proud of herself. "There it is!!!" It's a pleasure to watch Em and her dad enjoy such tender moments... and a pleasure to enjoy more than a sip or two of a warm cup of coffee!
1 comment:
I love pictures where Dad or Mom (or Grandma) is reading to the child! Children love this --- and they really learn so much.
You and Todd are such good parents.
Post a Comment